- Author: Harry Benjamin.
- Title: The Transsexual Phenomenon.
- Subtitle: All the facts about the changing of sex through hormones and surgery.
- Publisher: Warner Books, New York.
- Year of publishing: 1966.
- Binding: Soft-cover, 331 pages.
»Each day I live a lie. Mine is a life of deceit, for I am forced to be an actor on a stage not of my own choice. I cannot do … cannot act as I would like or as I feel. Yet I am not evil. I am not criminal. Until I can become more like other woman—if I ever can—I must live a lie, day after day. Physically I am a man; mentally and emotionally I am a woman. I am a transsexual.«
Now, it is possible for this desperate human being to be helped. Through surgery and hormonal techniques, transsexuals can be transformed into normally functioning members of the opposite sex. Dr. Harry Benjamin, long-recognized as an expert on sexology and a leader in transsexual treatment, tells you how it can be done. Adding to his own professional research the information gained in exchanges with Havelock Ellis, Sigmund Freud and Alfred Kinsey among others, he brings you a clear, complete, scientific report on transsexualism and sex conversion in the human male an female.
Table of Contents (extract)
- The Symphony of Sexes
- Transvestism, Transsexualism, and Homosexuality
- The Transvestite in older and newer aspects
- The Male Transsexual
- The Etiology of Transsexualism
- Nonsurgical Management of Transsexualism
- Conversation Operation
- 51 Male Transsexuals and the Results of their Operations
- Legal Aspects in Transvestism and Transsexualism
- The Female Transsexual
- Concluding Remarks and Outlook
- Complementarity of Human sexes
- Transsexualism: Mythological, Historical, and Cross-Cultiral Aspects
- Transsexual‘ Lives